| You are in: Sport | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, 15 May, 2000, 18:44 GMT 19:44 UK
Warren wins VAT court battle
![]() Promoter Frank Warren is no stranger to publicity
Boxing promoter Frank Warren has emerged from a tense battle with the Inland Revenue after being cleared of evading £1.2m in VAT.
The flamboyant businessman, who handles some of the boxing world's top talent, stood accused of deliberately avoiding his tax liabilities to pursue a lavish lifestyle. A jury at London's Southwark Crown Court decided he was innocent after hearing how the 48-year-old showman left money matters to others. The multi-millionaire's former partner and one-time bank manager, Christopher Roberts, 50, was convicted of the charge.
He said: "I don't paint myself to be some whiter than white guy but I have not done anything dishonest - my life is an open book. "I would hate to see anyone else go through this. It was a terrible nightmare and at the end of the day I am vindicated and I'm delighted about that."
His barrister Alun Jones QC, told him: "That is the best acquittal I have had in a case where there is no evidence."
The father of five, who has since paid the £1.2m plus interest to Customs and Excise, said he had never seen any memoranda from his business partner warning of cash flow problems or difficulties meeting the VAT liabilities. Spending spree Mr Warren, who brought former world heavyweight champion Mike Tyson to fight in the UK earlier this year, was described by his former business partner as being as much use with a set of accounts as a "camel with a prayer book".
Mr Roberts said this was the reason why Mr Warren never had anything to do with them.
The Crown found that this caused serious cash flow problems for his otherwise successful enterprise, Sports Network.
The father of five said in court that he believed it was "not a crime" to enjoy his money.
His former partner, Mr Roberts, was also found guilty of a similar allegation involving more than £35,000, which had been due
from an earlier fight promotion business run by the two men.
During the trial the jury was treated to a number of character witnesses called on Mr Warren's behalf. Former World Super-Middleweight champion-turned actor Steve Collins, reigning WBO Cruiserweight title holder Johnny Nelson, and rival promoter-cum-manager Frank Maloney, all took the witness stand to praise him as either a friend, business associate or both. The self-confessed workaholic is no stranger to the courts. In January 1999 he settled a legal battle with US promoter Don King by agreeing to hand over £7.2m to end their partnership. In April of the same year he sold his 90% stake in struggling Premiership rugby team Bedford to concentrate his efforts on the boxing ring. Ten years ago one of his former fighters, Terry Marsh, was acquitted of shooting Warren outside an east London fight venue.
|
See also:
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|