Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Thursday, 13 January, 2000, 14:09 GMT
SA police hunt race killing suspect

Bus at roadside The bus driver was the gunman's first victim


South African police are searching for a man who shot dead three people on a bus in the capital, Pretoria, in a suspected racist attack on Wednesday afternoon.

A white man randomly fired bullets at black commuters on a bus bound for a township on the outskirts of the city.



The gunman stared into my eyes and then shot the two men in front of me...bam bam...just like that
Passenger Matthews Chauke
Police used helicopters as part of a large-scale manhunt, but no arrests had been made by Thursday morning.

Four people were injured in the shooting, which took place as the bus was on its way through a mainly white residential area.

Two of the victims remained in hospital on Thursday, one of them in a critical condition.

Witnesses said the gunman appeared to have targetted the number 55 bus route, which carries commuters to the black township of Mamelodi.

They said he had allowed other buses to pass before boarding the Mamelodi bus.

'Point blank range'

He first shot the driver, then opened fire on other passengers, witnesses said.


Passenger and her employer A traumatised passenger leaves the scene of the shooting
"The gunman stared into my eyes and then shot the two men in front of me...bam bam...just like that," passenger Matthews Chauke told the Pretoria News.

"There was nothing in his eyes, just blank.

"He then turned to his right and shot the woman sitting there.

"They looked at him for a brief second and as their mouths started to open to scream he shot them at point-blank range.

"I dived under the seat and I saw no more."

Call for calm

South African newspapers compared the attack to the 1988 shooting by white supremacist Barend Strydom, who killed eight black people in central Pretoria.

President Thabo Mbeki appealed for calm, and urged Pretoria residents not to take the law into their own hands.

"The colour of this person and the victims, for our immediate purposes, is not important," said presidential spokesman Parks Mankahlana.

"This is a South African that killed and injured other South Africans.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Africa Contents

Country profiles

See also:
28 May 99 |  South Africa elections
South Africa's crime crisis
05 Mar 99 |  Africa
Silencing South Africa's gun culture
16 Sep 99 |  Africa
South Africa soldier's gun rampage

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories