Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Scotland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


John Thorne reports for BBC News
"The weather must improve and sea conditions calm down"
 real 28k

Thursday, 13 January, 2000, 05:12 GMT
Trawler wreckage 'will not be raised'

The Douglas, Isle of Man, lifeboat could not locate the men


Investigators examining the sinking of a fishing boat with the loss of seven lives say it is unlikely the wreckage will be raised.

Experts from the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) said they were likely to use divers and remotely-controlled underwater equipment to try to determine what caused the sinking of the Scottish-based Solway Harvester.

Sonar soundings have located what is thought to be the lost boat lying on its starboard side in about 100ft of water 11 miles off the Isle of Man.

Solway Harvester crew
Skipper Craig Mills
His brother Robin Mills
David Mills, 18, cousin of the skipper
Martin Milligan
David Lyons, 17
John Murphy, 22
Wesley Jolly, 17
The Kirkcudbright-registered scallop dredger had been expected to arrive in port at 0200 GMT but contact was lost on Tuesday evening when it was forced to take shelter off the Isle of Man in what coastguards described as "horrendous" conditions.

The MAIB said two inspectors had gone to the scene and were likely to be there some time.

"The investigation is at an early stage and I don't know if any decision will have been reached on whether to raise the wreckage," said the spokesman.

"It is likely that the MAIB will use underwater survey methods like the use of divers and ROVs (remote-operated gear). It is not usual to raise wreckage."

David Mills Lost: David Mills, 18, the skipper's cousin
Coastguards have all but given up hope of finding the seven fishermen alive, despite a massive sea and air search which was scaled down on Wednesday following the discovery of a second unopened liferaft.

The close-knit community of south-west Scotland, from where all the lost men came, was in mourning as the tragedy became clear, with tributes being paid to skipper Craig Mills.

"He was a very very competent mariner," said John Scoular, owner of the Steam Packet Inn, in the Isle of Whithorn, Galloway.

"He was probably one of the most successful skippers in the fleet."

Mr Mills, a qualified seaman, had been in charge of the Solway Harvester for just under two years and had fished in the Irish Sea all his working life.

Comforted by relatives

Before becoming a commercial fisherman he had commanded sea charters from the small village for tourists and fishing enthusiasts.

"He was probably among the top fishermen in Scotland," said Mr Scoular.

His brother, Robin, was married to Karen, who is expecting a baby and also has an infant daughter, Rachel.

They are being comforted by relatives at their home.

Robin had put to sea only after the ship was short of crew because of the flu outbreak.

"He had sailed with Craig before mostly for holiday japes," said Mr Scoular.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE

See also:
11 Jan 00 |  Scotland
Trawler wreckage located
12 Jan 00 |  Scotland
Fishing community faces up to loss
12 Jan 00 |  Scotland
Sinking unites politicians
12 Jan 00 |  Scotland
Fishing safety back in the spotlight
12 Jan 00 |  Scotland
Solway Harvester tragedy in pictures

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Scotland stories