Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Wales
Front Page 
World 
UK 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Saturday, 15 January, 2000, 11:46 GMT
Flu figures in Wales show fall

Jane Hutt Health secretary Jane Hutt is looking for "quick answers"


Opposition parties have criticised plans for a task force to tackle the winter crisis in the health service in Wales.

Welsh Health Secretary, Jane Hutt, announced on Wednesday that she is establishing a team to look at managing pressures on the NHS.



What the task force will do is look at the resources we will need, people resources, nurses and doctors.
Welsh Health Secretary Jane Hutt


The criticism comes as the latest figures on the flu outbreak in Wales shows the numbers of patients appears to have peaked and is falling.

Ms Hutt said the fall of reported cases from 189 per 100,000 to 157 per 100,000 was "encouraging".

But Conservative Assembly leader Nick Bourne described Ms Hutt's handling of the crisis as a "shambles" and Plaid Cymru's Assembly health spokesperson Dr Dai Lloyd was also critical.

"What we need is action now - not task forces that might report back in about six months time," said Dr Lloyd.

"Jane Hutt should know what the issues are after all those hospital visits - they are the shortage of beds, a shortage of nurses and a lack of manpower generally," he added.

Urgent meeting

Ms Hutt held what was described as an urgent meeting with the chief medical officer for Wales Dr Ruth Hall, and senior health and social services officials, earlier this week.

Ms Hutt said the pressures had been immense and she would be seeking the backing of the Assembly's health and social services committee next week in setting up an expert group.

She said the task force would look at any lessons to be learnt so that examples of good practice could be extended across the country.

Ms Hutt said she was looking for "quick early answers" to ensure measures were in place in time for next winter.

Hospitals in Wales have been under great pressure in the past couple of weeks as a result of the flu outbreak, which is thought to be the worst in a decade.

Struggling

Many general hospitals have struggled to find emergency beds for some of the sickest patients.

On Thursday, Welsh NHS managers were reporting continuing problems.

All the medical beds were full at the Royal Gwent Hospital in Newport, Withybush Hospital in Haverfordwest and at the new Royal Glamorgan Hospital in Llantrisant.

The majority of hospitals also said there was no spare capacity in their intensive care units.

Staff sickness levels are also high - with some hospitals suffering from double the normal rate of absence.

Figures are due to be released on Friday showing the number of recorded flu cases in Wales.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE

See also:
09 Jan 00 |  Wales
Hospitals cancel operations over flu
10 Jan 00 |  Health
Nurse shortage blamed for flu crisis
10 Jan 00 |  Health
Flu crisis deepens

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories