| You are in: UK: Scotland | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, 12 January, 2000, 17:37 GMT
Galbraith: Rescue plan still possible
Scotland's Sports Minister Sam Galbraith has told MSPs that a rescue deal for Hampden Park remains a realistic option. His hopeful message to the parliament on Wednesday follows the rejection by Queens Park FC, who own Hampden Park, of a £4.4m package aimed at securing the future the national stadium's future.
The club has not made it clear why it has turned down the offer but it is believed to be unhappy about the Scottish Football Association being given a management role as part of the deal.
In a statement to the Scottish Parliament, Mr Galbraith said he was still keen to complete negotiations so that the new management arrangements could be put in place. He was adamant that the SFA should be a key player: "It is only right that the country's national stadium should be run by the SFA and not a third division football club."
Mr Galbraith said he did not fully understand why Queens Park FC had rejected the package as it was on the verge of being signed.
He added: "But it is fair to say that the rescue package and the associated legal agreements are complex and inevitably problems and complications arise in processing this level of detail. "The situation has been made more complicated by the decision of the directors of Queen's Park to petition the court on Monday for an interim administration order in respect of the company and for the appointment of managers. Interim management "An interim order was granted and we understand that the appointments will be effective from Friday of this week for eight days." He said work was already under way to examine the club's assets and the state of play with the negotiations over the rescue package. Mr Galbraith said: "The future of the company is now to some extent in the hands of the court.
"However Scottish ministers remain willing in principle to participate in any arrangements based on those previously agreed for the rescue of the
stadium and - subject to other matters also being sorted out - also Queen's Park Football Club."
He added that consultants acting on behalf of the Scottish Executive and other co-funders had a "useful meeting" with the interim management on Tuesday and he was hopeful that a rescue deal remained a "realistic option". A much more agitated Mr Galbraith said on Tuesday that he would give Queens Park FC until Friday to reconsider the rescue package. He stated there was no more money available to help pay the final bills of the refurbishment project and he would not be held to ransom by Queens Park FC. More than £2m of government money has been pledged to meet debts incurred during the £63m rebuilding of Hampden Park. |
Links to other Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Scotland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|