![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Sunday, October 31, 1999 Published at 18:33 GMT World Crash jet: No survivors found ![]() Grief in Cairo: Relatives are comforted Rescuers searching the area where an EgyptAir Boeing 767, with more than 200 people on board, crashed into the Atlantic Ocean have so far failed to find any survivors.
Jim Hall, chairman of the US National Transportation Safety Board, described it as a "massive human tragedy" but said that there was no evidence yet of foul play. EgyptAir said there were 217 people on board including 15 crew, three off-duty employees and two infant passengers. Click here to read your thoughts on EgyptAir 990. It is understood that most of the 199 passengers on board flight 990 were Americans but Egyptians, Sudanese, Syrians and a Chilean were also on the plane. Coastguards are continuing to search for survivors in a 36 sq mile area of the ocean off the state of Massachusetts.
The NSTB, which is leading the crash investigation at the request of the Egyptian Government, has sent its first investigators to set up a command post in Rhode Island. Mr Hall said: "This is an enormous human tragedy and we want to assure everyone around the world that we will devote all the necessary resources to find out what caused this aircraft to crash.
He stressed that, at this early stage of the investigation, it was not known what caused the crash. "Any reports about the cause at this time are pure speculation." Mr Hall said that flight 990 made routine contact with New York air traffic control at 0147EST (0647 GMT), and reported no problems, just three minutes before it began its descent into the Atlantic. From cruising at 33,000ft, the plane plunged to 19,100ft in just 36 seconds. "That is a very rapid descent," he said. American tourists
The passengers also included 62 Egyptians, two Sudanese, three Syrians and one Chilean, EgyptAir said. The nationality of the remaining passengers is so far unknown. Mr Giuliani said Americans on the flight came from across the country including Los Angeles, San Diego and New York. Arrangements are being made to fly relatives to New York. Debris located The search operation is concentrated in a 36 sq mile area south of Nantucket Island, where a ring of debris has been found.
US Coast Guard Rear Admiral Richard Larrabee said only one body had so far been recovered. Earlier reports suggested that several bodies had been found in the water.
The FBI is helping with the investigation. But officials said there had been "no threats" and that initial inquiries showed no signs of sabotage. A Boeing spokesman said this was only the third time that a 767 had been involved in an accident in 17 years of service. EgyptAir chairman Mohammed Rayan said it was the airline's first fatal crash. The plane, purchased in September 1989, had flown 33,334 hours and had not previously experienced any breakdown, he added.
The 180ft, twin-engined Boeing 767 300, left New York's JFK airport at 0119 EST and was due to arrive in Cairo at 1620 local time (1420 GMT).
US aviation officials in New York said the flight had been delayed for a couple of hours because of its late arrival from Los Angeles. The delay in LA was due to a tyre change. Relatives' grief Tearful relatives are at Cairo airport, awaiting further news. Airport officials say the switchboard has been jammed with inquiries. In New York, crisis counsellors have been sent to help relatives arriving at a hotel near JFK. The plane's pilot Captain Ahmad al-Habashi was believed to be very experienced with some 10,000 hours flying time. A BBC Correspondent in Cairo says there has been no hint in local media that the airline was under threat of attack. EgyptAir Flight 990 was on a route similar to the one taken by Swissair Flight 111, a McDonnell Douglas MD11, which crashed off Nova Scotia on 2 September 1998, killing all 229 people on board. Planes on that route fly from Kennedy to Nantucket, then turn north to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland before heading east across the Atlantic. EgyptAir telephone number for concerned relatives is +1 800 243 1094.
| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©
![]() Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia |
Relevant Stories 31 Oct 99 | World A string of disasters 01 Nov 99 | World Grim task ahead for searchers 01 Nov 99 | World The search for answers 31 Oct 99 | World Relatives to fly to New York 31 Oct 99 | World The EgyptAir aftermath in pictures 31 Oct 99 | Americas Safety officials 'dismayed ' with Boeing 31 Oct 99 | The Company File EgyptAir - 'pioneer of air travel' 31 Oct 99 | Americas Boeing 767: Transatlantic workhorse |
| Internet Links |
US Coast Guard Boeing National Transportation Safety Board EgyptAir |
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites. |