Mr Campbell (centre) wants a full inquiry
|
The police have not gone far enough in their apology to one of the two men cleared of the Ice Cream Wars murders, according to his lawyer.
Thomas TC Campbell and Joe Steele had their convictions for the killings of six members of a Glasgow family quashed earlier this month.
A letter from Strathclyde Police to Mr Campbell's lawyers has accepted that a miscarriage of justice took place.
But lawyer Aamer Anwar again called for a full apology from the force.
Mr Campbell went to Strathclyde Police headquarters with his lawyer on Friday and asked for a meeting with Chief Constable Willie Rae, as well as demanding an independent public inquiry into the prosecution.
Strathclyde Police's director of legal services, Ian McPherson, said the force accepted the appeal judges' decision.
In a statement, he said: "Strathclyde Police fully accepts the decision of the Court of Criminal appeal and that there has been a miscarriage of justice in relation to your client.
"The Chief Constable has copied your letter to the Head of Complaints & Discipline, Strathclyde Police, and your letter will be remitted to the Crown in respect of the allegation of criminality."
Mr Anwar welcomed the admission that a miscarriage of justice had taken place when the two men were convicted 20 years ago.
But he accused Strathclyde Police of still not accepting full responsibility for the events.
He said: "Mr Campbell believes that after 20 years of fighting to prove his innocence this falls way short of the apology he is entitled to.
"Strathclyde Police must be seen to act and restore public confidence, it is never acceptable for any public service that has so fundamentally failed in its duties and responsibilities to accept blame, yet not even apologise."
Mr Anwar said he was happy the force was willing to co-operate with any public inquiry ordered by the Scottish Executive and said he would now approach the executive and the justice committee to act on this.