[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 24 March, 2004, 21:20 GMT
Families forgive crash driver
The couple had to be cut from their car
The couple had to be cut from their car
The families of a Ballycastle couple killed in a road accident have said they forgive the lorry driver responsible for their deaths.

Noel McKenna, 40, from Drumcoobrady, Tydavnet, in Monaghan, was found guilty of causing the death of teachers Paul and Mary McMullan by dangerous driving.

The lorry McKenna was driving went through a junction on the main Ballymena to Ballycastle road, near Dunloy, on 31 January 2003 and crashed into their car.

Both Mr McMullan, 34, who died later in hospital and his 36-year-old wife, who died at the scene, had to be cut from their car.

McKenna, who said he would take the image of the tragic accident "to my grave", had been adjusting his radio seconds before the collision.

It took a jury of nine men and three women just over an hour to convict McKenna at Belfast Crown Court on Wednesday.

Following his conviction, prosecuting QC Richard Weir said that both families had understood from the start that McKenna had not intended killing the young couple nor had he any "evil intention".

Outside the court, McKenna hugged Mrs McMullan's brother, saying he was sorry.

Acting Inspector Charlie Cassels said the families forgave McKenna.

Several accidents

"They said that the defendant is only a couple of years older than Paul and they didn't want to see his life destroyed as a result of him being convicted here today," he said.

He added that in forgiving McKenna, "they have a very Christian attitude in relation to the whole affair".

During the three-day trial, the court had heard of several accidents at the road junction and how a steel barrier had to be erected at the front of a house after one car had crashed into the front yard and burst into flames.

Trial Judge Tom Burgess, who praised the families' attitude, freed McKenna on continuing bail until next month, while pre-sentence reports are drawn up.

However, the judge warned the lorry driver that freeing him did not tie his hands when he came to sentence him and that he could still face jail.




WATCH AND LISTEN
BBC NI's Shane Glynn reports
"The policeman who led the investigation said the families felt no bitterness"



SEE ALSO:
Man appears over fatal crash
03 Feb 03  |  Northern Ireland



PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific