Negotiations are still continuing
|
The Pakistani government has issued a deadline for hundreds of militants to release 14 people they are holding hostage near the Afghan border.
The authorities say that 12 paramilitary soldiers and two local administration officials must be released by 0500 GMT on Thursday.
Tribal elders trying to negotiate their release say they need more time.
The hostages were taken at the start of a major operation in South Waziristan in which about 30 soldiers have died.
Stiff resistance
The army have not said what action they will take should Thursday morning's deadline be ignored.
But the BBC's Haroon Rashid in Wana says there seems to be a reluctance to launch another full-scale offensive against the militants following the stiff resistance they offered during earlier assaults.
Talks between the two sides are continuing through a delegation of 50 tribal elders made up of representatives from all the Federally Administered Tribal Areas.
Another group of around 20 tribesmen from North Waziristan also says it is playing a mediation role.
Both groups say they need more time if delicate negotiations are to have any chance of success.
The tribesmen say that the military have pledged to use force only if they are fired on first.
Our correspondent says it appears the army is worried about getting more reinforcements to the area following an attack on a convoy earlier this week in which 11 soldiers were killed.
Senior officers are worried that the road in which the convoy was attacked is still not secure and that the militants may be seeking more time before resuming hostilities.
The wreckage of seven vehicles destroyed in the attack has still not been removed.
Militants besieged
Tribal elders have been trying for three days to secure the release of the officials and soldiers.
One of the elders involved in the attempt, Malik Bakhan, told Reuters: "We're forming a team to try to identify areas where the missing people can be found. We'll also hold a jirga [tribal council] at which we will take some important decisions."
The South Waziristan area was quiet for most of Wednesday in contrast to the heavy fighting in the area over the last 10 days.
However, occasional small arms fire could be heard and helicopter gun ships are flying regular patrols.
House searches are being conducted by the army in the 50 square kilometre area in which it is believed that the militants are besieged.
The army says it has recovered audio tapes and a note book which may provide clues as to the identity of the militants.
On Wednesday, four rockets hit the north-western town of Peshawar in what appeared to be a retaliatory attack for the earlier military offensive.
The army says it has surrounded hundreds of suspected militants in mud-walled compounds, although officials believe some might have escaped.
Around 30 soldiers have been killed since the offensive began
|
More than 100 tribesmen and foreigners have been arrested in the operation, the army says.
Between 5,000 and 7,500 troops are tackling around an estimated 400 suspected militants and their tribal supporters.
It is the largest army operation in the tribal areas since Pakistani independence in 1947.
Hundreds of protesters have rallied in Peshawar this week shouting "Stop the Wana operation" and "Down with
America".
The Islamist coalition the Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal, which is the main power in North West Frontier Province, is planning a national day of protest on Friday against the Wana operation.
Earlier it was alleged that a senior al-Qaeda member was among those trapped, but the authorities said on Monday that he may have escaped through a number of tunnels.
US-led forces are backing the Pakistani operation by patrolling the area on the Afghan side of the border.