[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 24 March, 2004, 16:00 GMT
Teenager guilty over skip death
Michael Temperley
Michael Temperley died in a burning skip in July 2003
A 15-year-old boy has been found guilty of the manslaughter of a schoolboy who died in a burning skip.

Michael Temperley, 15, from Gateshead, was burned alive in a skip on the Team Valley Retail Park in the town on 14 July 2003.

On Wednesday a jury at Newcastle Crown Court said the teenager, who cannot be named, was guilty of manslaughter. He will be sentenced on 31 March.

He and a 16-year-old co-accused were cleared of false imprisonment.

Michael's parents, Linda and Howard Temperley, said after the trial they were devastated that they had not been given the opportunity to talk about Michael and the type of boy he was.

They said in a statement: "Michael was a very bright button - he was very intelligent and was in the top set for all his subjects at school.

"He would have been very aware of the danger a naked flame could pose to him in what was a locked container and he would have had the sense to try to put out the flames as soon as they were apparent to him."

Inquiry team

Earlier, the jury was told Michael had been locked in the waste container, which was full of wood and cardboard from the Durham Pine furniture outlet on the retail park.

The court heard Michael's cap and bike had been thrown into the skip to lure him in, before it was locked shut with a bolt on a chain.

The convicted teenager used his lighter to burn some paper which was thrown into the skip, and the contents quickly caught fire.

Northumbria Police Det Supt Tony Thornton said no member of the inquiry team had remained untouched by the case.

He said: "The main evidence in this trial came from eye witness accounts of events and the evidence given by analysis of the scene of the fire by forensic scientists specialising in arson investigation.

Boys' distress

"Everyone involved in this enquiry has been offered counselling services to help them deal with the events of Michael's death.

"Michael's family has behaved with dignity since his death in July and have attempted to begin to deal with their loss."

Mr and Mrs Temperley said their pain would not end with the verdict.

They said: "Much has been said about the distress of the other boys' families in their current situation.

"Difficult as it may be, we would give anything to be sitting in their place with our son. We have to go to the cemetery to see our son.

"They will go on to live their lives - for us this will never end."





LINKS TO MORE TYNE/WEAR STORIES


 

WATCH AND LISTEN
The BBC's Janet Barrie
"The judge said the defendant must prepare himself for a lengthy period in detention"



SEE ALSO:
Boy blames friend for skip fire
22 Mar 04  |  Tyne/Wear
Woman battled to save boy
17 Mar 04  |  Tyne/Wear
Boy 'heard screams of teenager'
16 Mar 04  |  Tyne/Wear
Teenagers deny skip death charges
15 Mar 04  |  Tyne/Wear


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

TOP TYNE/WEAR STORIES NOW
TOP UK STORIES NOW

PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific