[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 24 March, 2004, 12:31 GMT
Decision delayed over RAF centre
About 500 uniformed personnel at a Staffordshire RAF base must continue to wait for a decision on the future of the site.

There are plans to close RAF Stafford to cut costs, and a final verdict had been expected by the end of the month.

But Armed Forces minister Adam Ingram has told Stafford's MP David Kidney he needs more time to make a decision.

After reading a Ministry of Defence (MoD) review into the matter, Mr Ingram said a verdict was now likely in April.

Mr Ingram told a delegation of local councillors earlier in the month he would make a decision by the end of March.

It is estimated the closure of RAF Stafford would cost the local area about £17m a year in lost jobs and contracts, as well as the knock-on effect to local businesses.

A 5,000-signature petition opposing the plans was sent to the government in January.

The MoD is considering the future of its 15 UK RAF bases, including Stafford, which employs about 600 people in total.


SEE ALSO:
Campaign to save RAF base
18 Nov 03  |  Staffordshire
No guarantees for RAF station
01 Feb 04  |  Staffordshire


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific