Tommy Cheevers hands a letter of protest to the police
|
The Apprentice Boys have welcomed the passing of a controversial feeder parade in north Belfast without incident.
However, the loyal order's governor in Londonderry, William Allen, said he was disappointed that marchers had not been allowed to walk past a nationalist area, ahead of the main demonstration in Derry on Saturday.
The annual parade marks the raising of the siege of Londonderry in 1689.
A Parades Commission ruling had banned the marchers from walking past the Ardoyne shops.
However, an ammendment to the commission's determination ruled that a single bus carrying marchers and bandsmen could be allowed through the contentious route.
There was a strong police and army presence, with about 350 officers surrounding the disputed area.
A crowd of about 70 supporters cheered as members of Ligoniel Walkers Club came down the Crumlin Road to the security line.
Tommy Cheevers, the Apprentice Boys spokesman in Belfast, handed in a letter of protest to police officers and addressed the crowd before boarding the bus.
Mr Cheevers said the threat of violence from republicans had been given in to.
"We are not in the business of bringing people out on the streets to cause trouble," he said.
"We are angry because no matter what we do we are being punished. Not for our
own violence but because of republican violence."
Sinn Fein assembly member Gerry Kelly said he hoped the parade would set a precedent.
"If we could have this type of sensible approach every time there was a suggestion of a parade through these Catholic areas of Ardoyne and Mountainview, then things would be a lot smoother," he said.
"I hope this is a good sign for the future."
A strong police and army presence surrounded the area
|
Meanwhile, a van has been set on fire during a stand-off at an Apprentice Boys parade in County Londonderry.
It happened after about 100 protesters blocked Main Street in Maghera about 0930 BST on Saturday.
The police say the crowd refused to move to an agreed protest area and the Apprentice Boys agreed to turn back to avoid confrontation.
In Londonderry, about 15,000 Apprentice Boys members are taking part in the main demonstration through the city centre.
A local drama group staged a re-enactment of the Seige of Derry firing off muskets before the parade began.
Earlier on Saturday, several hundred members accompanied by three bands paraded along the city's historic walls.
They were led by Mr Allen who said local branches should have been allowed to march their chosen routes.
"I am a bit sad they couldn't get walking down Ardoyne," he said.
"They have done it for the past two years and it went peaceful.
"The Apprentice Boys will always keep within the law and they have not lost dignity by going down on a bus."
The Apprentice Boys also laid wreaths at the war memorial in the Diamond area and attended a church service at St Colm's Cathedral.
The police have erected large screens in the Diamond to keep rival gangs apart.
They have warned they will confiscate alcohol and that illegal emblems will not be tolerated.
All sides have appealed for calm throughout the day.