England does not expect many inmates to be freed
|
The US defence department says four detainees at the US base in Guantanamo, Cuba, have been classified as enemy combatants and would not be freed.
The names and nationalities of the men have not been released.
They are the first cases to be decided so far in a military review of the prisoners held on suspicion of posing a threat to the US.
The Pentagon says suspects deemed enemy combatants, not prisoners of war, can be held indefinitely without charges.
'No boycott'
The tribunals, which have been running for two weeks, were instigated after the US Supreme Court ruled that the prisoners could challenge their detentions.
They are the first opportunity that any of the 600 detainees, who have been held without trial or access to lawyers for more than two years, have had to plead their cases.
The hearings involve panels of three officers charged with deciding whether individuals have been classified correctly as "enemy combatants".
Eleven of the 21 prisoners reviewed so far have refused to take part, according to the official overseeing the reviews.
"There's no boycott," Navy
Secretary Gordon England told a press conference.
"I mean, this is an
individual situation. Some decide to, some decide not to.
"But there
certainly doesn't appear to be any organised effort whether to
appear or not appear," he added.
Four additional cases were being heard at Guantanamo Bay on Friday, raising the total to 25, the Associated Press news agency reported.
Human rights and civil liberties groups have dismissed the hearings as a sham. They point out that the prisoners do not have access to lawyers and argue that the military panels cannot be considered impartial.
Later this month military tribunals - akin to criminal trials - are also scheduled to begin for four men who have already been charged with various crimes.