Victim David Morgan is still critically ill in hospital
|
Police in Cardiff are stepping up their hunt for an arsonist after two elderly men were badly injured when their flats were set on fire.
Disabled David Morgan, 65, and Vincent Jones, 82, are still in hospital after the attack early last Sunday at Alexandra Court, in Canton.
Officers, who have called it a "callous" crime, have set up a mobile incident room and are asking for help.
On Friday the families of the two victims issued their own appeal, and said someone must know who was responsible.
On Friday, detectives issued an appeal for information to football fans at Cardiff City's home game with Plymouth.
An advertisement was placed in the match programme.
Extra officers have been drafted in to seek information on the attacks
|
Detectives also revealed that another fire, which may be the work of the same arsonist, had taken place in nearby Pontcanna the same time as the two elderly men's flats in sheltered accommodation were targeted.
A woman, 65, in a block nearby had also discovered a fire in her bathroom.
Former lorry driver, David Morgan, who is disabled after a stroke, suffered the most severe injuries and is critically ill in Swansea's Morriston Hospital.
His daughter Alison James made an emotional appeal after flying home to Wales from Australia.
She said she had feared she would not see her father alive
Alison James said somebody must know who is responsible
|
"On the plane I was thinking 'Is he still going to be there when I get there?'", Mrs James said.
"I just cannot imagine what he must have been going through, being disabled, being stuck in bed. He needs assistance to get out.
She said somebody most know who committed the crime.
Meanwhile, Suzanne White, daughter of Vincent Jones, told how her father had helped other people in the sheltered housing to safety after waking and seeing the flames.
"He climbed out of bed and tried to tackle the flames with the duvet but that caught on fire," she said.
An advertisement was put in Cardiff City FC's programme
|
"He went into the hallway to get the fire extinguisher.
"Then he started banging on doors and pulling alarm cords trying to get people out."
Police have promised to track down those responsible for the attacks.
The man heading the inquiry into the arson attacks, Detective Superintendent Simon Clarke, called on anyone who has information or who had been a victim of a suspicious fire to come forward.
"They
have caused deep distress to the families and to the community," he said.
"We are working closely with the families and the community. Together we will find those
responsible."
Anyone with information can contact South Wales Police on 02920 571510 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.