Victim David Morgan is disabled after suffering a stroke
|
A woman who flew home from Australia after her father was critically injured in a double arson attack has appealed for help in catching the culprits.
David Morgan, 65, and an 82-year-old were both injured after fires at their sheltered accommodation in Cardiff.
On Friday Alison James described how she flew across the world to be with her father Mr Morgan and her sisters.
Extra police officers are to be drafted in over the weekend to try to catch the arsonists.
Mr Morgan, who is disabled after suffering a stroke, and fellow ex-lorry driver, Vincent Jones, 82, are in Morriston Hospital, Swansea following the fire early last Sunday.
Fires started in the bedrooms of their ground floor flat in the sheltered accommodation in Alexandra Court, in Canton.
 |
On the plane I was thinking' Is he still going to be there when I get there?
|
Police, who have described the arson attacks as 'callous' and promised to find those responsible.
Mrs James said much of the flight back to the UK from Australia had gone in a blur.
"Everything feels just so surreal. I feel numb," she said.
"On the plane I was thinking 'Is he still going to be there when I get there?'", Mrs James said.
"I just cannot imagine what he must have been going through, being disabled, being stuck in bed. He needs assistance to get out.
"I just think it is horrific - how can somebody do this?" asked Mrs James, fighting back tears at a news conference.
The fires were started in ground floor flats at the complex
|
Suzanne White, daughter of Vincent Jones, told how her father had helped other people in the sheltered housing to safety.
"He woke up in the night. He was feeling very hot and he turned
over and flames were going up the wall," she said.
"He climbed out of bed and tried to tackle the flames with the duvet but that caught on fire.
"He went into the hallway to get the fire extinguisher.
"Then he started banging on doors and pulling alarm cords trying to get people out."
The man heading the inquiry into the arson attacks Detective Superintendent Simon Clarke called on anyone who has information or who had been a victim of a suspicious fire to come forward.
At the same time as the attacks on Alexandra Court, a woman of 65 worked to find a fire in her bathroom in a flat just yards from the complex.
Vincent Jones raised the alarm after seeing flames going up the wall
|
Mr Clarke also revealed that a woman in Pontcanna, a few hundred yards away, had also woken on Sunday to find a fire had occurred overnight outside her house.
The detective said police would find the arsonists.
"They
have caused deep distress to the families and to the community. We are working
closely with the families and the community. Together we will find those
responsible."
Extra officers are set to be drafted into the area this weekend in a bid to
collect information, and an advertisement will be carried in the match programme
for Friday's Cardiff City's home football match with Cardiff.
Anyone with information can contact South Wales Police can be contacted on 02920 571510 or Crimestoppers 0800 555 111.