Madeley School's 18 teachers fear for their futures
|
Teachers at a Shropshire school are striking over fears they may lose their jobs as part of a review led by a neighbouring school.
The one-day walkout by members of the NASUWT union began at Madeley Court School in Telford on Wednesday morning.
Thomas Telford City Technology College, one of England's top comprehensives, has been given the job of helping turn Madeley Court around.
The general secretary of the NASUWT has demanded an inquiry into the matter.
'Dubious' appointment
Eamonn O'Kane said Thomas Telford's role in the shake-up at Madeley Court was "unacceptable".
He said the procedures used to appoint Madeley Court's head Vic Maher, the former deputy head at Thomas Telford, were "at best dubious and at worst out with national regulations".
Fewer than three-in-10 pupils at Madeley Court have scored at least five A* to C-grades at GCSE since 1997.
Sir Kevin Satchwell was dubbed a "superhead" after his knighthood
|
By contrast, Thomas Telford City Technology College has consistently topped national state school league tables in recent years and its head teacher, Sir Kevin Satchwell, was knighted in 2001 for his services to education.
Under government policy, failing schools can be closed, merged or forced to "federate" with more successful neighbours.
Madeley's 18 staff fear any reorganisation of the school could cause them to lose their jobs.
An NASUWT spokeswoman said that a picket line was set up between 0730 and 0930 GMT on Wednesday.
Asked if further strikes were possible, she told BBC News Online: "We shall have to see who comes around the negotiating table."
'Successful' change
The local education authority (LEA) has indicated teachers could be "redeployed" in other local schools if jobs are lost at Madeley Court,
In a statement, Telford and Wrekin LEA said the schools had been partnered "to provide senior management, leadership and to secure higher levels of achievement by students".
"The federation has been running successfully since September 2003 and, as a consequence, the council has much more confidence in the school's future."
The statement said Mr Maher was appointed as Madeley Court's head on a permanent basis because the school's governors "were concerned about the message that would be given out by a short-term appointment".
The school had advertised for a new head without success on two previous occasions before Mr Maher took the job, the statement added.