[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Tuesday, 23 March, 2004, 14:49 GMT
New hope for tram compensation
Supertram
The Supertrams started running in 1994
A motorist from Sheffield has won the right to sue for damages after his car went out of control on Supertram tracks in the city.

Bill Roe, 43, from Norton Avenue was seriously injured in the accident in 1995 but has so far received only an interim payment of £200,000.

The Appeal Court has now said he can sue Sheffield city council as well as Supertram's builders and operators.

It is thought that eventually Mr Roe could receive around £1m.

Power pylons

Mr Roe's brain injuries mean he has no recollection of the accident.

But an eye witness saw him lose control of his Ford Sierra and collide with one of pylons that carry power to the trams.

A long legal battle has already been fought over Mr Roe's right to compensation and during Tuesday's hearing Lord Justice Kennedy call for a swift end.

"It seems to me that the time has come for the proceedings to be brought to a complete conclusion and by that I mean all proceedings," he said.

The judge said it should now be possible for Mr Roe to be compensated in full for his injuries, leaving the defendants to decided themselves who should foot the bill.




SEE ALSO:
Man dead after tram pole collision
17 May 03  |  South Yorkshire
Man dies in Supertram accident
08 Mar 03  |  England


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific