[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 12 August, 2004, 19:22 GMT 20:22 UK
NHS apology over baby's cremation
Michelle Franco and Nick Bridgers
The couple say the lack of a funeral has made it difficult to grieve
An NHS Trust has apologised to a Brighton couple whose baby son was cremated without their consent.

Michelle Franco and Nick Bridgers agreed for their son to undergo a post-mortem examination after a scan during pregnancy showed a fatal birth defect.

They had planned to bury Tyler, who was delivered after an induced labour at the Royal Sussex County Hospital.

The Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust has apologised and launched an inquiry into the incident.

Telephone call

The couple, who are receiving counselling, said being denied the chance to bury Tyler made it difficult to grieve.

Mr Bridger said: "If there is a funeral or you've planned a cremation, you know what has happened.

"But without that, we can't grieve, we can't get over it."

Ms Franco said she received a telephone call several weeks after the post-mortem examination to say Tyler had been cremated.

"Having to lose him in the first place and then for them to cremate him without us knowing - it's disgusting," she said.

Speaking for the NHS Trust, Amanda Federo said: "I cannot express my regret and sorrow enough.

"It must be extremely traumatic for them and we apologise profusely for what has happened."




RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific