[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Monday, 22 December, 2003, 17:07 GMT
Man jailed for attacking girlfriend
A 41-year-old man who attacked his former girlfriend and tried to tie a strap around her neck, has been jailed for four years.

Andrew Procter, of Winward Close, Lower Darwen, Lancashire, pleaded guilty at Preston Crown Court to attempted grievous bodily harm and making threats to kill.

The court heard he broke into Lesley Keirby's house in Padiham, Lancashire in July 2003, and carried out the attack.

He was found two hours later outside near a tree with a rope around his neck.

'Lost consciousness'

The court heard that the couple had lived together Ms Keirby ended the relationship in April.

Philip Holden, defending, said Mr Procter had been unable to get over the breakdown of the relationship and had mixed alcohol with prescribed drugs on the night he carried out the attack.

Judge Edward Slinger described the incident as "horrifying" but said Ms Keirby had shown great courage and calmness.


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific