[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Sunday, 30 November, 2003, 16:39 GMT
Terror suspects still held
Eastbourne Police Station
The arrests in Eastbourne followed an inquiry into credit card fraud
Six men arrested in East Sussex under the Terrorism Act are still being questioned in custody.

The arrests in Eastbourne followed inquiries by Sussex Police into alleged large-scale cheque and credit card fraud.

They are not connected to other arrests made under the same act elsewhere in the country, a spokesman for Sussex Police said.

Three arrests were made on Thursday - one in Gloucester, one in Manchester and one in Birmingham - after separate anti-terror raids.

A 39-year-old man arrested in Manchester was released without charge on Friday. The 33-year-old man arrested in Birmingham was released without charge on Saturday.

At this stage there is no connection with the arrests that have been made elsewhere in the country
Assistant Chief Constable Nigel Yeo, Sussex Police

Officers have until Monday morning to question Sajid Badat, 24, who was arrested in raids in Gloucester and is being held at Paddington Green police station in west London.

Detectives will then have to decide whether to charge him, release him or apply for a further 36-hour extension to question him.

Of the East Sussex arrests, a spokesman said one man had been arrested on Tuesday night and five others on Thursday and Friday.

They are being held under section 17 of the Terrorism Act 2000, which relates to the arranging of funds or property for the purposes of terrorism.

The suspects are all in their mid 20s and are North African, the police spokesman said.

Sajid Badat
Sajid Badat is still being questioned by police in London
Two are from Eastbourne, two from Hastings and two from London.

Items have been seized from a flat in Eastbourne but police have refused to say what they were.

Officers are continuing to search the property.

Assistant Chief Constable Nigel Yeo, of Sussex Police, said: "At this stage there is no connection with the arrests that have been made elsewhere in the country.

"This is a Sussex Police operation but we have also been working closely with officers from the Metropolitan Police Service's Anti-Terrorism Branch."

Meanwhile, Gloucester Police are continuing a "painstaking search" of Mr Badat's home in St James Street.

Police said "nothing significant" was found at three other addresses in Gloucester during the raids, although it was earlier confirmed that a "relatively small amount" of explosives were found at Mr Badat's home.




WATCH AND LISTEN
The BBC's Nick Thatcher
"He is being held under the Terrorism Act 2000"



SEE ALSO:
Blunkett 'faces contempt inquiry'
29 Nov 03  |  England
Terror suspect released
29 Nov 03  |  West Midlands


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific