Efforts are continuing to secure the release of an oil worker from Edinburgh kidnapped in Nigeria.
The 33-year old, whose name has not been released, was one of seven foreigners taken hostage by ethnic Ijaw youths on Thursday morning.
It is believed that one has since been freed.
The Edinburgh man was in Southern Nigeria on a temporary basis carrying out work for the oil pipeline firm Bradero Shaw.
Ransom demand
The kidnap is thought to have occurred as the men were testing the boat on the lake behind the plant.
Those taken include an Australian, a Moldovan, an Azerbaijani and two Colombians.
It is thought a Russian was released within a few hours to deliver a ransom demand.
The Edinburgh-based pipeline coating company, Bredero Shaw said one hostage had been released, and that the remaining hostages were being treated well and were unharmed.
Company spokesman Ted Scheffey said: "Communications are currently under way between the captors and the Nigerian officials to secure the release of the others."
 |
If you look at the past history in the area, typically they are resolved in a positive fashion.
|
He said he was confident an agreement would be reached.
"If you look at the past history in the area, typically they are resolved in a positive fashion," he added.
The UK Foreign Office told BBC News Online that consular staff were liaising with the oil company and local Nigerian officials.
"We can confirm a British national was among those kidnapped on 27 November, the next of kin are aware and are in regular contact with the employers," a spokesman said.
He could not confirm whether any of the hostages had been released.