Beyond the smiles, disagreements may well erupt in Naples
|
European Union foreign ministers are addressing some of the most divisive issues of a new European constitution
on day two of their meeting in Naples.
Major disagreements remain over voting systems, the size of the Commission and religious heritage, ahead of the EU's eastward expansion next May.
Spain and Poland are threatening to block progress if they lose voting concessions won at Nice in 1999.
However, progress has been made to strengthen EU military co-operation.
The Naples meeting - hosted by Italy, which currently holds the EU presidency - brings together foreign ministers from the union's 15 current and 10 future members.
It comes two weeks before a summit at which EU leaders are due to agree on the final shape of a first European constitution.
When a draft is agreed, the text will be published in all EU languages and submitted for referendums in a number of member states.
Growing pains
The BBC's Oana Lungescu in Naples says the biggest battle is over voting powers.
Under the draft constitution, the number of voting commissioners will be held at 15 - meaning 10 countries will not have fully-fledged commissioners when the union expands.
 |
STICKING POINTS
Proposal for majority voting on foreign policy
National voting weights in the Council of Ministers
The number of commissioners
Mention of Christian heritage
|
Decisions will be adopted by a double majority system consisting of at least half the number of EU states representing 60% of its population.
But Spain has said provisions in the text which dilute the voting powers won by it and Poland at the Nice summit three years ago are "unacceptable".
The two were given 27 votes each in the future executive commission - only two less than the four most populous states - Britain, France, Germany and Italy.
German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder has objected to a combined Polish and Spanish population of 80 million wielding 54 votes while Germany's 82 million have only 29 votes.
"It is clear we are not at the moment close to a deal," said Poland's European Affairs Minister Danuta Huebner after the first day's discussions.
Britain, for its part, said it would reject the draft if it meant states losing their veto over foreign policy.
The UK also objects to the appointment of an EU foreign minister - arguing that it suggests there is such a thing as a European super-state.
Military plans
Britain, France and Germany do, however, appear close to agreement on European defence.
The US fears the plans will undermine Nato's influence
|
Belgian Foreign Minister Louis Michel said a proposal by the "big three" won general backing at a dinner meeting on Friday.
"We can say that the embryo of a European defence is under way and that it's an irreversible process," he told reporters after the dinner.
The three countries agreed to reinforce the EU's military capabilities, while trying to allay American fears that this might undermine Nato, officials said on Friday.
The plan is said to involve a permanent EU planning cell, based in Brussels.
EU military planners would draw on Nato assets - notably transport planes, satellite intelligence and the alliance's communications network.
French Foreign Minister Dominique de Villepin said it was crucial for Europe to forge ahead with plans for a common defence.
"This is a key issue. We can't have a Europe without defence," he told French state radio France-Info.
British officials confirmed that an agreement had been reached but emphasised that it was not a "formal solution".
Last month, Washington described plans for European military operations independent of Nato as the biggest threat to the future of the alliance.