[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 7 November, 2003, 11:35 GMT
Children sit 11-plus exams
Thousands of children are sitting the exam
The future of the transfer test is uncertain
Thousands of primary school children in Northern Ireland have sat the first of this year's 11-plus selection tests.

The 10 and 11-year-olds were questioned on English, mathematics and science during the hour-long test on Friday.

About two-thirds of the 24,000 eligible primary seven pupils sat the controversial examinations.

The second 11-plus test will take place on Friday 21 November.

A government-appointed working body has been assessing alternative ways of transferring pupils from primary to post-primary schools.

The Costello Group was due to report at the end of October, but has until 30 November to deliver its findings.

NIO education minister Jane Kennedy has said the transfer test will definitely take place next year, but she has not yet decided about future years.

Abolition move

Former education minister Martin McGuinness had moved to abolish the current secondary level education selection system hours before he left office last October.

The Sinn Fein MP said the final 11-plus tests should be in 2004.

Ms Kennedy, who assumed the education portfolio when the Northern Ireland Assembly collapsed, had said she intended to follow the course of action set out by Mr McGuinness.

So far, no alternative has been found and no decision taken on whether academic selection should remain.

Mr McGuinness did not recommend a system to replace the 11-plus.

A previous report recommending the scrapping of the 11-plus was shelved in 2001 because the then-devolved assembly was suspended.

The Burns Review of Northern Ireland's education system, set up by Mr McGuinness, recommended an end to the test.

Grammar schools are against the Burns proposal and have argued for the retention of some sort of academic selection.

They want the right to choose pupils of the highest ability, while others feel the plans are not radical enough.

Last year, more than 16,500 pupils sat the transfer test and for the third year running, a higher proportion of boys than girls achieved A grades.

Fewer boys were entered for the exam, but those who were performed slightly better than the girls.




SEE ALSO:
Pit your wits against the 11-plus exam
07 Nov 03  |  Northern Ireland
Kennedy 'will abolish 11-plus'
29 Oct 02  |  Northern Ireland
Education proposals 'not enough'
17 May 02  |  Northern Ireland
Consensus needed over Burns Report
02 May 02  |  Northern Ireland
Children give views on 11-plus
22 May 01  |  Northern Ireland
Report calls for end of 11-plus
24 Oct 01  |  Northern Ireland


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific