[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Saturday, 29 November, 2003, 10:12 GMT
School closes for boy's funeral
Huw Emyr Roberts
An investigation into Huw Emyr Roberts' death is under way
Pupils at the school where a toddler was fatally injured have been told to stay home on Monday as the school remains closed as a mark of respect.

The closure coincides with the funeral of two-year-old Huw Emyr Roberts, who died after the accident at Ysgol Cymerau in Pwllheli, Gwynedd.

Head teacher Dylan Roberts said staff, parents, and pupils had been shocked at the death of Huw Emyr Roberts.

The child died as a result of an accident in the grounds of the school on Wednesday morning. He was in a buggy on a pavement.

Speaking publicly for the first time since the tragedy, Mr Roberts said Huw's family had been in everyone's thoughts all week.

"I cannot begin to imagine what they must be going through," he said.

He praised the staff of the school for dealing with the situation in such a professional manner, who had hidden their own feelings of grief for the sake of the pupils.

'Devastation'

And he thanked the local authority for the support they had offered the school.

Huw's parents were said by a close family member to have been "absolutely devastated".

His uncle, Gareth Williams, said the parents had been overwhelmed by support from the local community.

"It is obviously quite shocking to have something like this happen," he said.

"I think they need to be left alone to console themselves."

"They are inundated with support - from friends, family, and even from people they don't really know.

"The whole community has been rocked by this tragic accident. As a family, they can only thank people for their support."

Airlifted to hospital

On Thursday, there were calls for urgent safety improvements at the Gwynedd school which has 338 pupils.

A memorial service was held for the boy, who died after he was taken from the scene by ambulance before being airlifted to Ysbyty Gwynedd in Bangor.

The accident happened as parents were taking children and staff were arriving for the start of the school day.

It has since emerged that concerns about safety at the school's entrance had been raised in the past.

Parents taking children to and from school have to walk through the car parking area to reach the entrance.

Reverend William Davies, from Pwllheli Presbyterian Church, called the volume of traffic using the school car park "a very dangerous situation."

"It is chaotic in the morning at about 0900 GMT in the morning and when they go home at 1515 GMT."

And the mayor of Pwllheli, Glyn Roberts, said he was not happy knowing parents and children were walking near cars on their way into school.

"It shocks me that the public footpath I understand goes right through the parking area at the school."

But Alun Williams, deputy chair of the school's governors, said the safety issue was not necessarily any worse than at any other school.

The police and representatives of the Health and Safety Executive and Gwynedd Council are all trying to piece together what happened.




SEE ALSO:
School safety calls after toddler killed
27 Nov 03  |  North West Wales
Toddler dead after car hits pram
27 Nov 03  |  North West Wales
'Two angel wings amongst the stars'
27 Nov 03  |  North West Wales


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific