[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
LANGUAGES
arabic
persian
pashto
turkish
french
Last Updated: Thursday, 6 November, 2003, 08:02 GMT
Saudi policemen 'kill militant'
Aftermath of the attacks in Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia has cracked down on militants since the May bombings
Saudi security forces have shot dead a Muslim militant in a raid in the capital Riyadh, local media report.

The official news agency SPA quoted a ministry official as saying an unknown number of militants opened fire as their hideout was being investigated.

Police fired back, killing one and suffering eight minor injuries.

On Tuesday the Saudi Government said two militants had been killed and six captured as they planned to attack tourists in the holy city of Mecca.

Interior Minister Prince Nayef said at the time that the suspected militants planned to strike at "buildings, installations and people" and belonged to the al-Qaeda network of Saudi-born Osama Bin Laden.

Frequent shootouts

Thursday's incident took place at about 0400 local time (0100 GMT) in Riyadh's southern district of Suweidi.

Further details would be released later, the official said.

The clashes follow warnings by the United States and United Kingdom of a threat of attacks on Western targets during the holy month of Ramadan, which began late in October.

Saudi Arabia has cracked down on Islamic militants since bombings of Western compounds in May.

There have been frequent shootouts involving casualties for both militants and security forces, including one in Suweidi in August.



PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific