A major review of schools was announced earlier this year
|
Education leaders are to bid for £250m to tackle the problem of empty places in classrooms and repair crumbling school buildings.
Earlier this year, Northumberland County Council said it had to deal with more than 7,000 surplus school places within four years.
It announced a major review of schools across the county in an effort to deal with the fall in the pupil population.
On Wednesday, the authority announced a new approach to the problem.
Council leader Councillor Michael Davey said they were to speed up the process of school accommodation reviews and look at alternative solutions.
"Options could include forming more school federations, reviewing catchment areas and encouraging more community use of school buildings.
"However, school closures do remain one possible outcome."
A key part of the new approach would be a £250m bid for funding from the Government to improve education provision.
The council will be consulting on the bid with schools during November.