[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 5 November, 2003, 18:25 GMT
Welsh firefighters end action
Fire engine
An increasing number of stations are joining the unofficial action
Firefighters in Wales have called off unofficial industrial action in a dispute over pay rise deliveries.

Firefighters in mid and west Wales ended their action after they were threatened with having their pay docked

Earlier on Wednesday, ten of the 13 full-time stations in the Mid and West Wales Brigade region had joined colleagues across the country in only taking 999 calls in a dispute over pay.

But Chief Fire Officer Douglas Mackay warned his staff that taking unofficial industrial action could place firefighters in breach of contract and their salaries would be reduced.

The Fire Brigades Union confirmed its members at the stations halted their action following the warning.

Fire services in north and south Wales also said working patterns were back to normal by Wednesday evening.

A Mid and West Wales Fire Service spokesman said a memorandum was sent to all stations.

It stated: "Individuals actively participating and supporting unofficial action, and where only partial performance of duty is undertaken, can expect reductions in their salary in return".

On Tuesday, firefighters at Cardiff Central fire station became the first in Wales to join an increasing number of brigades across England taking unofficial action.

They were followed by firefighters at stations in Bridgend, Malpas, Newport and Morriston.

Since the dispute was not officially organised by the Fire Brigades Union, the decision to "work to rule" was decided by each shift as they started.

The firefighters said their employers and the government were reneging on the first part of the five-point pay agreement negotiated following a series of fire stoppages which ended earlier this year.

Anger mounting

Official talks between the firefighters' union and employers are being held on Wednesday to try to resolve the pay dispute.

Anger has been mounting among firefighters since it emerged they would not receive a 7% pay rise from this month.

They had thought they would receive a 7% pay rise on 7 November, but local authority employers say it will be only 3.5%.

The remainder will be paid next year and backdated to 7 November on condition that changes being made in the fire service are complete.

The employers said the agreement had always been that changes had to be made, and then verified by the Audit Commission - a process not expected until March.

They blamed union leaders for misleading their members.

'Work to rule'

During the unofficial action, Mark Watt, the FBU representative at Cardiff Central, confirmed firefighters at the station were on 999 calls only.

"It's effectively a work to rule," he said.

"The (FBU) membership are disgusted with employers for backing down over the pay agreement.

"We came back to work in June on the basis of this agreement.

"My information is that the majority of brigades in the country will be having a vote on this."


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific