The hunger strikers are said to need days of treatment
|
Five anti-capitalists released from prison in Greece are receiving hospital treatment after a 53-day hunger strike.
The two Spaniards, a Briton, a Syrian and a Greek were held after riots at the EU summit in Thessaloniki in June.
The five, who are said to be seriously ill, were released on bail on Wednesday on condition that they remain in Greece until their trial.
They face charges of possessing explosives and weapons, but say evidence was planted on them by police.
French news agency AFP said Briton Simon Chapman, 30, and Syrian Suleiman Dakduk, 34, were admitted to hospital after they were released from prison.
It said three other hunger strikers - two Spaniards and a Greek - were taken to hospital last week.
 |
These men now have a
long haul ahead of them as they regain fitness
|
Mr Chapman's lawyer George Ververis said he was released for "humanitarian reasons" following the hunger strike which has lasted more than 50 days.
He said he also had evidence that Mr Chapman's blue bag was replaced with a black one containing Molotov cocktails, a hammer and an axe.
Psychiatrist Kleanthis Grivas examined three of the suspects just before the order for their release was made.
He said they were all in a grave condition and would require five to 10 days treatment in intensive care to "avoid serious and permanent organ damage".
Hospital treatment
They have been refusing food for weeks. At one point they were also refusing fluids, although they are believed to now be accepting them.
Some summit protests ended in violent clashes
|
They are formally prisoners of Athens's maximum security Korydallos prison, although some are being treated in hospital.
Earlier this week public prosecutor Aristidis Frangiadakis ordered doctors to force-feed the hunger strikers and "undertake all necessary actions to save the lives of the prisoners".
But doctors treating three of the suspects at a state hospital near the prison said the measure was illegal and unethical, and said they would not carry out the order, AP news agency reported.
Human rights group Amnesty International has called for an investigation into claims
that the five were mistreated by police.
Two Greek protesters who were not on hunger strike were also released on bail on Wednesday.