The girls disappeared in August last year
|
The parents of Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman have arrived at court to hear
the prosecution case against the man accused of their murders.
The day's session at the Old Bailey in London began at 1105 GMT with an address by Judge Justice Moses to the jury of seven women and five men.
Ian Huntley, a former school caretaker, has denied killing 10-year-olds Jessica Chapman and Holly Wells last year.
On Tuesday, the judge told the jury to put aside emotion and remain impartial during the case, expected to last three months.
Holly and Jessica disappeared on 4 August last year, and their bodies were found almost a fortnight later close to the RAF base at Lakenheath in Suffolk.
Their parents were in court on Tuesday to see the jury sworn in.
'Calm consideration'
The jury was told Mr Huntley had denied the double murder charge.
It was also told his former girlfriend Maxine Carr, 26, who worked at the school the girls attended in Soham, Cambridgeshire, had denied two charges of assisting an offender and one of conspiring to pervert the course of justice.
Trial judge Mr Justice Moses told the jury: "The death of anyone, and perhaps especially children, gives rise to understandable concern and emotion.
"But the courtroom, this courtroom, is not the place for any expressions of emotion."
He called for cool, calm consideration of evidence, uninfluenced by sympathy.
"The essential duty we owe to the community is to ensure this is a fair trial."
He said it would be "idle to pretend" jurors had not read about the case or seen stories about it on television, but warned they must be impartial.
Mr Huntley and Ms Carr have been held in custody since their arrests on 17 August last year.
Stephen Coward QC will defend Mr Huntley and Ms Carr will be represented by Michael Hubbard QC.