[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
LANGUAGES
Chinese
Vietnamese
Indonesian
Burmese
Thai
More
Last Updated: Thursday, 27 November, 2003, 11:47 GMT
S Korea slush probe widens
South Korean President Roh Moo-hyun
President Roh has vetoed an independent investigation
South Korean prosecutors have raided an affiliate of the country's biggest car maker, Hyundai Motor.

They seized documents from the office of Hyundai Capital, a financing arm of the company.

Prosecutors have been investigating several South Korean conglomerates over allegations that they provided illegal funding to politicians in last year's election.

POLITICAL FUNDING ROW
29/9 - Roh quits ruling party due to factional divides
13/10 - Roh proposes referendum on his rule
16/10 - Former Roh aide held on slush fund allegations
21/10 - GNP MP confesses to taking slush money
28/10 - State prosecutors begin inquiry
10/11 - National Assembly votes for independent inquiry
18/11 - LG offices raided as scandal widens
24/11 - Samsung subsidiary offices raided
25/11 - Roh vetoes independent inquiry
27/11 - Hyundai affiliate offices raided
"Prosecutors began searching through our offices from 11 o'clock (0200 GMT) this morning, but we are not aware of the reason," a Hyundai Capital spokesman told the Reuters news agency.

The funding scandal came to light in October, after allegations that executives at another conglomerate, SK group, had provided illicit contributions to a political aide of President Roh Moo-hyun.

A number of investigations are underway into other companies, including the Samsung Group and LG Group.

Referendum

The scandal has contributed to Mr Roh's decision to propose a referendum on his rule.

But critics have questioned whether South Korea's constitutional allows such a vote.

On Thursday, the country's Constitutional Court rejected a legal challenge to the proposed referendum. The former National Assembly Speaker, Lee Man-sup, and several civic groups, had asked for a ruling on the legality of the call.

The court rejected their suit, but failed to clear up the issue, because it said President Roh's proposal for a referendum was not detailed enough.

Pressure has been growing on Mr Roh in recent days over the government's handling of the alleged funding scandal.

On Wednesday, Choe Byung-yul, chairman of the Grand National Party (GNP), began fasting after President Roh vetoed parliament's decision to appoint an independent prosecutor to investigate election financing.

The GNP has already announced it is boycotting parliament and is considering launching an impeachment against Mr Roh.

The president said he wanted state prosecutors, who are currently investigating the claim, to finish their work first.


SEE ALSO:
S Korea opposition in protest fast
26 Nov 03  |  Asia-Pacific
S Korea political row deepens
25 Nov 03  |  Asia-Pacific
Embattled Roh seeks referendum
13 Oct 03  |  Asia-Pacific
S Korea slush scandal spreads
22 Oct 03  |  Asia-Pacific
S Korean president quits party
29 Sep 03  |  Asia-Pacific
Profile: Roh Moo-hyun
24 Feb 03  |  Asia-Pacific
Country profile: South Korea
24 May 03  |  Country profiles
New probe hits SK chief
22 Sep 03  |  Business


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific