[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 27 November, 2003, 17:23 GMT
BBC backs Holyrood tapes decision
The parliament
The probe of Holyrood costs is continuing
The BBC's board of governors has backed BBC Scotland in refusing to hand over tapes to the Fraser Inquiry into the Holyrood building.

The UK governors had been challenged to investigate the issue by the Scottish National Party leader John Swinney.

The tapes contain interviews with the late Donald Dewar and the controversial Catalan architect Enric Miralles, which the BBC has refused to release.

Mr Swinney had written to the BBC National Governor for Scotland, Sir Robert Smith, saying it was disgraceful that the inquiry's work was potentially being hampered.

He also said the people of Scotland, who are effectively paying for the Holyrood project, would settle for nothing less than the release of the tapes.

However, after formally discussing the matter at a meeting on Thursday, the governors concluded that BBC Scotland had acted in accordance with the corporation's published guidelines.

The BBC Board of Governors considered management's decision not to hand over untransmitted material... and concluded that BBC Scotland had operated in accordance with the BBC Producers' Guidelines
BBC Scotland spokeswoman

The refusal to surrender tapes gathered for a documentary was made because BBC Scotland had promised several of those interviewed that nothing would be published before the building was complete.

Lord Fraser of Carmyllie, who is conducting the inquiry, has asked to see the interviews, which were recorded by the independent production company Wark Clements.

Lord Fraser wants to know if they cast light on some of the reasons for the spiralling costs of the parliament building and the delays in its construction.

Mr Swinney said he "profoundly regretted" the BBC's decision.

He added: "There can be little doubt that it is in the public interest for the full facts surrounding the new parliament building to come out. Indeed, Lord Fraser himself has made clear that he needs these tapes as evidence.

"It is now time for Lord Fraser to consider seeking a court order."

A spokesman for BBC Scotland said Sir Robert Smith has written to Mr Swinney responding to his request.

She added: "Sir Robert explained that the BBC Board of Governors considered management's decision not to hand over untransmitted material from The Gathering Place documentary and concluded that BBC Scotland had operated in accordance with the BBC Producers' Guidelines.

"The board therefore saw no reason to intervene in the matter."


RELATED BBCi LINKS:

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific