Stations on strike are answering 999 calls only
|
The number of firefighters in Wales taking part in unofficial industrial action looks set to grow on Wednesday.
On Tuesday, firefighters at stations across south Wales including Cardiff Central, Bridgend, Malpas, Newport and Morriston, joined the increasing number of brigades across the UK.
They believe their employers are reneging on the first part of the five-point pay agreement negotiated following a series of fire stoppages which ended earlier this year.
Until they meet their employers, the firefighters say they will only be answering 999 calls.
Stations across north, mid and west Wales are expected to vote on whether they will join the action.
Mark Watt, the Fire Brigade Union (FBU) representative at Cardiff Central, confirmed firefighters at the station were on 999 calls only.
"It's effectively a work to rule," he said.
"The (FBU) membership are disgusted with employers for backing down over the pay agreement.
"We came back to work in June on the basis of this agreement.
Picket lines could return if agreement is not reached
|
"My information is that the majority of brigades in the country will be having a vote on this."
Anger has been mounting among firefighters since it emerged they would not receive a 7% pay rise from this month.
Firefighters have been told by their employers that they would not lose out in the way the pay rises are being introduced.
A spokesman for the Welsh Local Government Association say the rise, due to come into effect on Friday, is conditional on changes being made in the fire service which are not yet complete.
Local authority employers have offered an initial 3.5% increase, with a further 3.5% rise backdated to 7 November once the changes are complete.
A spokesperson for South Wales Fire Service said cover for Cardiff Central was being provided by nearby fire stations and that managers had begun talks with the workers taking unofficial industrial action.
She said: "Talks are taking place with Cardiff Central, but all appliances are available and it's business as usual.
"Cover will be provided by the nearest available fire station."
Months of strike action finished earlier this year
|
FBU leader Andy Gilchrist said his members were "extremely angry" their pay rise was to be paid in two stages.
No agreement was reached in a meeting on Monday night between FBU leaders and employers, but talks are due to resume on Thursday.
The dispute has flared as fire services across the country prepare for
Bonfire Night, one of the busiest nights of the year.
The long-running pay dispute appeared to have been resolved in June, after months of strikes in which the Army used green goddess vehicles to provide cover.
Under the June agreement, 4% was paid immediately, back-dated to last November.
A further 7% was due this month, followed by a final rise of 4.2% next summer, lifting a fire-fighter's pay to £25,000.