[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
LANGUAGES
Spanish
Brasil
Caribbean
Last Updated: Wednesday, 26 November, 2003, 17:43 GMT
NY subway odour 'not terrorism'
The New York subway
New York is on high security alert
An "unknown substance" which led to the hospitalisation of five New York subway workers is not terrorism-related, officials say.

"No subway line has been shut down or evacuated," a police official said.

Emergency services were checking Manhattan's southbound "F" line for the substance, fire department spokesman Paul Iannizzotto said.

The odour was detected in a tunnel amid heightened security on the eve of the American Thanksgiving holiday.

New York has been on the highest possible security alert since the 11 September 2001 attacks.

Last week, the US authorities warned that al-Qaeda continued to plot attacks on American interests abroad.


SEE ALSO:
Ground Zero rail station reopens
23 Nov 03  |  Americas
NYC subway token gone forever
11 Apr 03  |  Americas
Is US winning its war on terror?
09 Sep 03  |  Americas
FBI hunts 'al-Qaeda suspects'
06 Sep 03  |  Americas



PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific