[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
LANGUAGES
Russian
Polish
Albanian
Greek
Serbian
Turkish
More
Last Updated: Wednesday, 26 November, 2003, 15:18 GMT
Greece to release hunger strikers
Clash between police and protesters
Some summit protests ended in violent clashes
A Greek court has ordered the release of five anti-capitalists who are ill on hunger strike, their lawyers say.

The five - two Spaniards, a Briton, a Syrian and a Greek citizen - were held after riots in June at the European summit in Thessaloniki.

They face charges of possessing explosives and weapons, but say evidence was planted on them by police.

The order to free them was given by a court in Athens, on condition that they remain in Greece until their trial.

Officials said the protesters were not expected to be released before midday on Thursday when all the paperwork would be completed, according to the Reuters news agency.

One earlier report said doctors had been refusing to carry out an order to force-feed the five.

Hospital treatment

They have been refusing food for weeks. At one point they were also refusing fluids, although they are believed to now be accepting them.

Simon Chapman
Briton Simon Chapman says evidence was planted
They are formally prisoners of Athen's maximum security Korydallos prison, although some are being treated in hospital.

The force-feeding order came from public prosecutor Aristidis Frangiadakis who ordered doctors to "undertake all necessary actions to save the lives of the prisoners".

"Mandatory nourishment" was a legitimate measure, he said.

But doctors treating three of the suspects at a state hospital near the prison said the measure was illegal and unethical, and said they would not carry out the order, AP news agency reported.

The Greek Government had been refusing pleas to free them on compassionate grounds. Human rights group Amnesty International has called for an investigation into claims that the five were mistreated by police.


WATCH AND LISTEN
The BBC's Richard Galpin
"He says a video shows the police placing a bag of petrol bombs next to him"



SEE ALSO:
In pictures: EU summit protests
20 Jun 03  |  Photo Gallery


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific