Anti-war rallies earlier this year attracted thousands
|
Organisers of a demonstration against the war in Iraq say they expect about 100,000 people to attend a march in central London on Saturday.
It will be the fifth major protest against Britain's role in the conflict, with one demonstration in February attracting a million people.
But the Metropolitan Police anticipates a lower turnout and expects disruption for people coming into London on the weekend to be minimal.
The Stop The War Coalition's said coaches have been booked in towns and cities across the UK to ferry people into the city.
They will be gathering at Hyde Park at noon and marching to Trafalgar Square.
Full public inquiry
Coalition chairman Andrew Murray said there was growing public support for the group's demand that UK and United States troops should pull out of Iraq immediately.
He also called for a full public inquiry into the UK's involvement in the conflict and said it was becoming increasingly clear that the war was "unjust and illegal".
The Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND) said a big demonstration would send a strong message to the government that the public did not condone the "lies" used to justify the war.
Chairwoman Kate Hudson told a London news conference: "The British people have the right to know the truth about the events leading to the illegal war on Iraq which is causing untold suffering to the people of that country."
George Galloway, the Labour MP who has been suspended from the party following his outspoken comments against the war, said that if the Iraqi conflict was not discussed at next week's Labour Party conference it would make a "mockery" of the annual gathering and reduce its credibility.
He will be among speakers addressing the rally in Trafalgar Square on Saturday.