Survivors and relatives will attend a special service in Bali on 12 October
|
Lawyers for convicted Bali bomber Amrozi have appealed to the Indonesian Supreme Court against his death sentence.
An earlier appeal to the High Court has already been dismissed, but defence lawyer Qadar Faisal said: "We are convinced that the Supreme Court will deliver a fairer verdict."
A final decision in the case is not expected for several years.
The appeal came as concern mounted over security in Bali in the run-up to the anniversary of the attacks on 12 October.
On Wednesday the Australian Government warned against travel to the island, saying it was continuing to receive reports that attacks were being planned against a variety of targets in the region.
Australian Prime Minister John Howard said he was still planning to go to Bali to commemorate the 202 people killed in the attacks, many of whom were Australian tourists.
"I can understand that those who have lost their loved ones will
want to do the same thing," he said.
"It's also important that I go as prime
minister, to show my concern and sympathy and ongoing support for the
people who have lost so much," he said.
'Laughing bomber'
Amrozi was the first of more than 30 suspects to be tried for
the Bali bombings.
Dubbed the "laughing bomber" for his apparent indifference to the victims of the attacks, he was found guilty in August of buying the equipment and van used in the bombings.
During his trial, the 41-year-old mechanic said he was proud of his role in the attacks, and claimed he would be "happy to die as a martyr".
But Amrozi's lawyers insisted he did not deserve the death sentence, saying he was only a minor player in the bombings.
They have also questioned the legality of applying a new Indonesian anti-terror law in Amrozi's case, because the law was passed after the Bali attacks.
Amrozi's brother Ali Imron, another convicted Bali bomber, will
not appeal against the life sentence handed to him last week, one of his lawyers said on Thursday.
"He fears that if he appeals, his remorse will be considered
make-believe," Muhammad Yasin told reporters.
Ali Imron was spared the death penalty, because the court said it had taken into account his expression of regret and his testimony against other key defendants.