[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 8 August, 2003, 15:19 GMT 16:19 UK
Coast best place to watch balloon
Andy Elson (left) and Colin Prescot
The helium balloon will fly from a ship off St Ives in Cornwall
Crowds expected to flock to see the world's biggest manned helium balloon being launched for a record attempt are to be guided to coastal vantage points.

The 1,250-foot-tall QinetiQ 1 is expected to fly from a ship off the Cornish resort of St Ives during a "weather window" which ends in mid-September.

With the area already packed with holidaymakers, the police and local council have appealed to people not to go to St Ives itself for the event.

The record bid to fly to the edge of space is being made by Andy Elson, from Wells in Somerset, and Colin Prescot, from Stockbridge in Hampshire.

The launch will happen at 48 hours' notice once there are ideal weather conditions.

Balloon
The balloon has undergone extensive tests
"People who want to see the balloon do not have to come to St Ives. The launch ship is going to be some way off the coast," said a Penwith District Council spokesman.

He said signs would be placed at roundabouts en route to the area, directing sightseers to coastal vantage points.

One such point will be Hayle Towans, a coastal area of beach and sand dunes near St Ives with extensive views of the launch area.

"We will have extra staff on the ground to help people, but we just do not know how many people will be able to come down at such short notice," said the spokesman.

Devon and Cornwall Police spokesman, Sergeant Alan Mobbs, said: "People will be able to see the balloon from miles away.

Restricted view

"There will be no need to go to St Ives itself, where the view would be restricted.

"We are urging people to find vantage points away from the built-up area."

The balloon's pilots are aiming to break the world manned balloon altitude record by ascending to 132,000ft - 25 miles up.

Mr Prescot, 53, said he was confident the flight - shelved last year because of the weather - would go ahead this time.

The QinetiQ 1 team needs a clear, calm day with light winds to attempt the nine to 12-hour flight.

British Airways has agreed to divert a Concorde flight when the world record bid goes ahead.




SEE ALSO:
Balloonists' rehearsal for record bid
11 Jul 03  |  Science/Nature
Balloonists prepare altitude attempt
27 Mar 03  |  Science/Nature
Countdown to balloon launch
19 Jul 02  |  Science/Nature
High hopes for balloon record
08 Nov 01  |  England


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific