Freddie Scappaticci applied for a judicial review
|
Judgement has been reserved in a judicial review brought by the west Belfast man who denies allegations that he is the Army spy Stakeknife.
Freddie Scappaticci, 59, sought the judicial review in a bid to get Security Minister Jane Kennedy to confirm he had not been a British Agent.
Earlier this week, an attempt to make Ms Kennedy give evidence in Friday's proceedings was thrown out.
Mr Scappaticci, who strenuously denies allegations that he was an Army informer inside the IRA, was not in court.
His barrister, Michael Lavery QC, said it was an "extraordinary case" and government policy would not be affected if the minister were to make a statement about Mr Scappaticci.
Declan Morgan QC for the crown argued that any statement would make no difference to Mr Scappaticci's security.
Lord Chief Justice Sir Robert Carswell said the minister had to balance how staying silent might increase the risk to Mr Scapaticci against how making a statement could impact on the security of Army agents.
Reserving judgement, he said he would deliver his ruling within the next few days.