A decision on planning is likely to be made on 21 October
|
Villagers objecting to plans for a secure unit for young criminals say they doubt many of the 250 jobs promised would benefit their community.
More than 200 residents packed into a public meeting to protest about the proposals for the secure youth training centre for up to 100 12-17-year-olds at Glynneath Business Park in the Neath Valley.
Speaker after speaker claimed the centre would devalue property prices in the area, place extra demands on the region's health services and create an eyesore in the community of Cwmgwrach.
A 4,000-signature petition opposing the development was handed to Neath Port Talbot council planners.
 |
We are the minority. We are the lost and neglected of the valleys
|
The authority is due to make a decision on the application from the Youth Justice Board for the centre, the only one of its kind in Wales, on 21 October.
Campaigner Jessie Griffiths said: "There are not going to be jobs for young people under the age of 25.
"It is our young people who are unemployed and that centre will offer no hope to them at all.
"Once it is a prison it will always be a prison.
"This will affect my grandchildren, great-grandchildren and many generations to come."
Specialist people
Resident Marion Morgan said: "I was married to a prison officer and they are specialist jobs. They will bring specialist people to do it.
"We are the minority. We are the lost and neglected of the valleys.
"How can the people in London possibly understand the general feeling against this."
Representatives from the Youth Justice Board had declined an invitation to attend Tuesday night's meeting.
Ian Curry who is on the Vale of Neath action committee said: "This is the most important issue I can ever remember in Glynneath and I was born here.
"Yet the Youth Justice Board have not given us the pleasure of their company.
High fence
"It's a fair indication that they have no concern for anyone other than themselves."
Planning officers from the county council were present to hear residents' views as part of the authority's consultation process.
Head of planning services Jeff White said the outline application was for a centre that would house up to 100 young people.
They would be kept in secure accommodation and there would be a 5.2m high fence around the premises which the Youth Justice Board said would employ 250-300 people.
He said none of the authority's statutory consultees had objected to the proposal but he had already had 485 letters from residents opposed to the plans.
"We will look at all of the issues and take into account the material objections to this planning application," he said.