Mrs Watson hoped an inquest would answer questions about the death
|
The family of a man murdered in Sussex say they have suffered another setback in the search for his killer after an inquest was delayed.
Millionaire businessman Richard Watson was shot dead at his home in East Grinstead in 1996 in what appeared to be a contract killing.
Despite two investigations - including the arrest and subsequent acquittal of Mr Watson's widow Linda and stepdaughter Amanda - Sussex Police say the case is no longer being actively pursued.
His family was told on Tuesday that the decision to hold an inquest into Mr Watson's death has been delayed again.
 |
The person who is responsible for killing my husband will probably never be brought to justice
|
Linda Watson, who now lives in Tunbridge Wells, said: "The only way that I hoped that more questions would be asked would be an inquest, so that people like the journalists might ask the questions that I know the answers to but I don't think the general public know."
Mr Watson, 54, was a successful businessman with four children when he was killed.
On the night of his death, Mrs Watson and Amanda called the police after hearing a bang and seeing a man in a balaclava outside the house.
The pair were tried for his murder but then acquitted after the court case against them collapsed when the Crown Prosecution Service produced no evidence.
Hitman 'prime suspect'
Mrs Watson said: "The person who is responsible for killing my husband will probably never be brought to justice because of the incompetence of Sussex Police."
Sussex Police launched a second inquiry into Mr Watson's death earlier this year, naming a hitman currently in prison as the prime suspect.
But after sending a file to the CPS the police revealed in August that no prosecution would take place.
A spokesman for Sussex Police said on Tuesday: "Following a study of the case papers by the Crown Prosecution Service, they have advised the police that they will not be taking any further action.
"Although the inquiries into Mr Watson's murder will not now be an active investigation, it will always be revisited in the light of any new evidence."