Anderson Shelters were common during World War Two
|
A west Wales man who wanted to built a dream home complete with an anti-terrorist bunker has been refused planning permission.
The father-of-four included a chemical shelter in his application for a new home because he wanted to protect his family against a possible attack.
Steve Mattinson drew up the plans as fears of reprisals against the west from fallen Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein and Al Qaeda's Osama Bin Laden were at their height earlier this year.
Planners in Carmarthenshire have not taken issue with the bunker but say the planned location of the property in Tumble is outside its development boundaries.
 |
When you get people like Saddam Hussein or Osama Bin Laden I think you should sit down and carefully consider what these people are capable of
|
Development control manager Stuart Owens said the site was in a rural location and not suitable for homes.
Mr Mattinson, who currently lives in Penygroes near Ammanford. said the bunker would have come complete with living and sleeping quarters, store room, toilet and its own power supply.
He said it would have to be quite large because his family would have to stay inside until the effects of any attack had dispersed.
The salesman was quite prepared to spend a fair amount of money, talking in terms of £10,000 or £20,0000.
Mr Mattinson fears an attack by Saddam Hussein
|
He said: "I'm too young to remember the last world war.
"But even in this area there were Anderson Shelters and air raid bunkers.
"When you get people like Saddam Hussein or Osama Bin Laden I think you should sit down and carefully consider what these people are capable of."
Carmarthenshire councillors met on Thursday to consider the application.
Mr Owens said: "Refusal was recommended as it is a dwelling house in open countryside.
"We make no reference to the shelter. There is no justification for a dwelling."