[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 7 August, 2003, 13:01 GMT 14:01 UK
Extra patrols after OAP sex attack
Police have stepped up uniformed patrols in a former pit village where an 87-year-old widow was sexually assaulted by a masked knifeman in her own home.

Earlier this year a woman in her 70s suffered a similar ordeal in her nearby home and detectives fear the two attacks could be linked.

The 87-year-old needed medical treatment after the incident in Seaham, County Durham, at 0500 BST on Wednesday.

Police have appealed for urgent help in finding the attacker.

Considering the dreadful ordeal she suffered, she remains very strong, very resilient and very brave
Durham Police spokesman

The man, who had forced a back door, assaulted his victim as she lay in bed at her home.

After he fled she managed to contact an emergency warden service who alerted police.

Durham Police said uniformed officers would now be patrolling the streets in the area near her home, where a lot of elderly people live.

A force spokesman said: "High visibility police patrols are being mounted throughout the evening and during the night to offer extra reassurance to local residents, many of whom are elderly.

"The inquiry is going well and we are confident the man responsible will be caught."

'Depraved' attacker

The elderly victim, who has given police a description of the attacker, is now being cared for by relatives.

The spokesman added: "Considering the dreadful ordeal she suffered, she remains very strong, very resilient and very brave."

The attacker was described as slim, 6ft tall, wearing a dark mask and dark hooded top. He was carrying a wooden-handled knife with a five inch blade curved at the top.

Forensic experts are examining the victim's home and detectives are carrying out extensive door-to-door inquiries in the area.

Detective Chief Inspector Brian Tate, who is leading the investigation said: "Whoever carried out this attack must be depraved and anyone with any knowledge of this offender should contact us immediately."




SEE ALSO:
Search for pensioner's attacker
25 Jan 03  |  England


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific