The remains of the Bali nightclub wrecked by the bomb
|
The brother of one the Bali bomb victims has said this week's Jakarta bomb reminds them "the threat is still there".
Tobias Ellwood, of Bournemouth in Dorset, whose brother Jonathen died in the blasts, said: "More substantial support should be offfered if the terrorist networks in South East Asia are to be broken."
His comments came as Amrozi bin Nurhasyim - one of the chief suspects accused of carrying out last year's Bali bombing - was found guilty and sentenced to death.
Amrozi, dubbed the "smiling bomber", was accused of conspiring, planning and carrying out an act of terrorism, which killed more than 200 people.
Smiling assasin
He smiled when the guilty verdict was read out and turned around to the courtroom and gave the thumbs-up sign when the judge handed
down the death sentence.
Mr Ellwood was speaking on behalf of the victim's families.
The 36-year-old said: "For us we are pleased that we are getting it (the trial) out of the way. We are going to Bali In October and we did not want this to be in the way."
 |
DEATH PENALTY FOR BOMBER
Carried out by 14-man firing squad
Only one round is live
Sentence can be appealed
Appeals can take 5 years
|
The BBC's Rachel Harvey, who was in court, said as the judge announced his verdict his final words were "almost drowned out by the applause from the relatives and survivors of the bombings".
Amrozi faces death by firing squad, but it could be some time before the sentence is carried out. His lawyers are expected to appeal the decision, our correspondent said.
Police said Amrozi, one of three brothers arrested in connection with the Bali operation, had admitted buying the explosives and the minivan used in last October's blast.
The 41-year-old mechanic denied the attack was the work of the regional militant Muslim group, Jemaah Islamiah (JI), which has been linked to Osama Bin Laden's al-Qaeda network.
Amrozi has said he is not worried at the prospect of a possible death sentence.
Hotel blast
Twenty-three Britons were among those killed in the two bombs, which ripped through a busy nightclub area in the island's popular Kuta district.
Mr Ellwood believes the suicide attack in Jakarta was designed the overshadow the trial.
Indonesian police suspect JI was behind the Bali bombs as well as the attack on Tuesday on the Marriot Hotel.
A car bomb outside the hotel in Jakarta killed 14 people and injured 150 others.
Mr Ellwood added: "The Jarkata bomb reminds us that the threat is still there."