Mr Matthews died in hospital after the accident in 2001
|
The owners of Camelot theme park in Lancashire have been fined £40,000 and ordered to pay £20,000 costs after a worker was killed by a roller-coaster.
Prime Resorts Limited, which owns the Camelot theme park at Charnock Richard, said it deeply regretted the death of an engineer at the park two years ago.
On Monday, Preston Crown Court heard how 59-year-old worker Harry Mathews, from Wigan. was killed while greasing the tracks of The Gauntlet ride in 2001.
The company admitted they had failed to ensure employees were not exposed to risk in a prosecution brought by the Health and Safety Executive.
It emerged the park had no written safety procedures for its staff.
The court heard the risk to safety was caused by "fundamental management errors".
No written procedures
Mr Mathews was painting diesel on the track at ground level when he was struck by the rollercoaster, which was carrying five children and three adults.
The ride had broken down earlier in the day in October 2001 and so liquid lubricants were applied.
Nigel Lawrence, acting for the Health and Safety Executive, said there were "distinct failures" in procedures that had left the workers open to significant risks - including no written procedures in place on how to undertake maintenance jobs.
This meant employees were effectively "left to their own devices" as to what they thought was appropriate.
During Monday's hearing, Simon Antrobus, acting for Prime Resorts, said the management deeply regretted the loss of an "experienced and respected" worker.
He added the company had since put in place procedures to properly train staff.
The dead man's family also confirmed they are suing the company.