[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 7 August, 2003, 08:52 GMT 09:52 UK
Mother's new plea for missing boy
Terence and Jeanette Cooper
The strain shows on Adam's stepfather and mother
The mother of the boy who went missing on the banks of Loch Lomond has renewed her appeal for help to find her son.

Jeanette Cooper was speaking after police ruled out two possible sightings of Adam Shad, 15, who was last seen climbing a hillside late on Tuesday afternoon.

Door-to-door enquiries had been carried out 10 miles away in the village of Arrochar after reports that a boy matching Adam's description was seen early on Wednesday morning.

Mrs Cooper said she was disappointed that the sightings had turned out not to be him and renewed her appeal to walkers in the area to look for her son.

The 15-year-old from Gateshead was last seen by his family after being dropped off by his stepfather to walk up a hillside overlooking the loch.

Police, coastguards, four mountain rescue teams, boats and a helicopter have been involved in the search, which resumed on Thursday morning.

The previous night, officers turned their attention to Arrochar after a boy fitting his description was reported to have been seen in the village at about 0130 on Wednesday.

He gets confused and blacks out sometimes, only for a second
Jeanette Cooper
Mother
Chief Inspector Les Carson said there had been two possible sightings but neither was that of the youngster.

But he added: "However, I would ask the public to remain vigilant, and say don't hesistate to phone police and we will check it out."

Adam was bare-chested, barefoot and was wearing only tracksuit bottoms when he was last seen.

Chief Inspector Carson said: "Adam suffered a road accident in November last year which resulted in head injuries which caused him to have memory loss, he has the occasional blackout, gets tired very easy and he is prone to going to sleep.

"It is still my belief that he is on the hill, has blacked out or is injured.

"The conditions are treacherous because of the recent heavy rain. We still have areas of terrain which has thick undergrowth and has to be thoroughly checked and be cleared today."

Searchers checking maps
The search for Adam resumed on Thursday morning
Adam had been on a camping holiday with his brother Joseph, 11, his mother and his stepfather Terence Cooper.

His family believe he may have panicked on Tuesday night when heavy thunder storms affected the area.

Speaking on BBC Radio Scotland on Thursday morning, Mrs Cooper said: "I would appreciate it if anybody is thinking of going up into the hills or around in this area to keep their eyes open for him."

The family say he has the physical strength of someone 10 years older.

Mrs Cooper said: "Our belief is that he nagged so much to go up there because he feels we are not letting him do the things that 15-year-old boys are allowed to do because he is registered disabled.

"Disabled he isn't as far as physical ability or mental ability; disabled he is in that he may have problems with memory.

"He gets confused and blacks out sometimes, only for a second."

Mr Cooper wanted to make clear today that Adam was mentally able but was prone to memory loss which could cause him to be disorientated.




SEE ALSO:
In Pictures: Adam Shad search
07 Aug 03  |  Photo Gallery
No sign of missing teenager
06 Aug 03  |  Scotland


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific