[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Monday, 22 September, 2003, 15:38 GMT 16:38 UK
Bus driver guilty of death crash
Donte Byron
Donte Byron was walking with his mother when the bus hit him
A bus driver who drove up on the pavement, killing a four-year-old boy, has been convicted of causing death by dangerous driving.

Paul Moses was driving towards Camberwell when his number 36 Routemaster bus mounted the pavement in Peckham, south-east London on 7 August 2002.

The bus crashed into some railings before hitting Donte Byron and his mother Samantha who were walking hand in hand on the pavement.

Donte was declared dead soon afterwards. His mother, who was seven months' pregnant at the time, broke her leg and was also treated for shock.

Moses, 27, from Deptford, south east London, was arrested at the scene. He claimed he had been distracted by a bee or wasp which flew into the driver's cab.

But police who investigated the crash told the trial at Inner London Crown Court that CCTV footage of the scene did not support his defence.

All the events were captured on CCTV and he wasn't making any attempt to swat a wasp. His hands were firmly on the steering wheel.
Inspector Andy Dawson, Metropolitan Police

The court was told Moses became annoyed when a van driver pulled in front of him. and swerved to argue with the driver.

The prosecution claimed he then over-corrected and veered towards the pavement.

On Monday the jury found him guilty of causing death by dangerous driving by a majority of 11 to 1.

Inspector Andy Dawson, who led the investigation, said after the six-day trial: "CCTV footage played a crucial role in the prosecution.

"All the events were captured on CCTV and he wasn't making any attempt to swat a wasp. His hands were firmly on the steering wheel."

"Donte's family have shown immense courage over the last year and throughout the court case.

"They will be relieved that this is now over. But their loss will be a lifelong tragedy."

Judge Gregory Stone QC granted bail to Moses and sentencing will be on 13 October.

He warned Moses that "all sentencing options are open".


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific