[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
LANGUAGES
Chinese
Vietnamese
Indonesian
Burmese
Thai
More
Last Updated: Thursday, 7 August, 2003, 03:05 GMT 04:05 UK
First Bali bomb verdict due
Amrozi in the courtroom
Amrozi raised his clenched fist as he was led before the judges
One of the key suspects in last year's Bali bombing is in court where judges are expected to deliver their verdict later on Thursday.

The defendant, Amrozi bin Nurhasyim, is accused of conspiring, planning and carrying out an act of terrorism which left more than 200 people dead.

He was the first suspect to be arrested in connection with the Bali attack and the first to appear before the courts - if he is found guilty, Amrozi could face death by firing squad.

The expected verdict comes two days after a car bomb outside a Jakarta hotel killed 14 people and injured 150 others.

The BBC's Rachel Harvey says the bombing of the Marriott Hotel is a sobering reminder that militants remain willing and able to launch attacks.

'Similar explosives'

Security is tight around the court where Amrozi is expecting his verdict.

BALI'S 'SMILING BOMBER'
Amrozi, pictured smiling after his arrest
41-year-old mechanic
One of three brothers charged
Said he was "delighted" by attack

About 300 armed police officers and 250 local guards, carrying traditional curved daggers, are posted around the court, reports say.

Cars and motorbikes have been banned from the area - and the proceedings are being broadcast by loudspeakers to those gathered outside the building.

As he was led before the panel of five judges, Amrozi raised a clenched fist and shouted Islamic slogans.

Police say Amrozi, one of three brothers arrested in connection with the Bali operation, has admitted buying the explosives and the minivan used in last October's blast.

But the 41-year-old mechanic has denied that the attack was the work of the regional militant Muslim group, Jemaah Islamiah (JI), which has been linked to Osama Bin Laden's al-Qaeda network.

Indonesian police suspect JI was behind the Bali bombs as well as Tuesday's attack on the Marriot Hotel.

They said documents found in the possession of JI members arrested last month indicated an attack in the area around the hotel was imminent and police patrols were stepped up.

Investigators have said the explosives and methods used in Tuesday bomb are similar to the bombs which destroyed the Sari Club and Paddy's Bar, in Kuta, Bali.

'Positive aspects'

Five judges heard from more than 40 witnesses during Amrozi's trial, including survivors of the attack.

The Australian press nicknamed Amrozi the "smiling bomber" after he appeared laughing before television crews following his arrest last year.

The other key suspects in the case are on trial separately.

During his trial, which began in May, Amrozi said the Bali bombings had "positive aspects" because they encouraged people to re-embrace religion and weakened the corrupting influence of foreign tourists.

Amrozi has said he is not worried at the prospect of a possible death sentence.

"I'll be happy to die a martyr," he said recently. "After me there will be a million more Amrozis."




WATCH AND LISTEN
The BBC's Clive Myrie
"If found guilty, he will embrace the death penalty with dignity"



RELATED BBCi LINKS:

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific