[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Monday, 22 September, 2003, 13:43 GMT 14:43 UK
Soldier 'not interested in shots'
Soldiers on street on Bloody Sunday
The inquiry is examining the events of 30 January 1972
A former parachute regiment soldier has said that he was not interested in trying to work out who he shot on Bloody Sunday.

Soldier U told the Saville Inquiry on Monday that he shot a man who had just fired two shots from a pistol on Rossville Street in Londonderry.

The inquiry is examining the events of 30 January 1972 when 13 civilians were shot dead by soldiers during a civil rights march in Derry. Another man died later from his injuries.

The soldier, who was a private in Mortar Platoon of the Parachute Regiment at the time, told Arthur Harvey QC, representing the families, that he was not interested in helping him establish who he shot.

Soldier U also rejected a suggestion by Mr Harvey that he has tried to obscure the circumstances in which he fired to avoid dealing with the truth.

The former paratrooper described in his statement to the inquiry how he saw a gunman blindly firing two rounds in quick succession.

He said one of the bullets killed a young man standing near a rubble barricade, while an old man was injured.

Civilian struck

Earlier on Monday, Soldier U also described how he struck a civilian with his weapon while arresting him.

Inquiry lawyers have identified this man as Charles Canning, who said in evidence at the tribunal that he was beaten and kicked by paratroopers as they forced him into an Army Saracen.

Soldier U denied threatening to shoot Mr Canning or kicking him as he lay on the ground.

The tribunal is sitting at Central Hall in London for about six weeks before returning to the Guildhall in Derry as it enters its final stages.

It has been hearing the evidence from military witnesses and others in London because of concerns for their safety.

Lord Saville of Newdigate has already heard evidence from more than 800 witnesses, including the prime minister in 1972, Sir Edward Heath.

Lord Saville and the Commonwealth judges accompanying him on the Bloody Sunday inquiry began their work nearly four years ago.

They are not expected to report back until next year.


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific