[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 6 August, 2003, 12:06 GMT 13:06 UK
Parade switched after disorder fears
Ricky Gray
Ricky Gray voiced fears over the route
Organisers have agreed to reroute a Protestant parade after senior police officers voiced fears that it could spark "serious public disorder".

The marchers originally sought permission to walk down Glasgow's Gallowgate on Saturday evening.

Ricky Gray, the assistant chief constable of Strathclyde Police, said that part of the route gave him "very grave concern".

He wrote to the city council's public processions committee asking members to impose conditions which would take the march away from the Gallowgate and Moir Street area.

"It is my reasonable belief that in the absence of such a condition being imposed there may be serious public disorder, damage to property or serious disruption to the life of the community," he said.

Alternative route

An emergency meeting had been due to take place on Wednesday afternoon to discuss the application.

However, a council spokeswoman said the meeting had been called off after organisers agreed to an alternative route suggested by the police.

Marchers will now walk down the Saltmarket and along the edge of Glasgow Green.

The application was lodged by the Rising Star of Bridgeton Royal Black Preceptory 672, which will be accompanied by the Thornliebank Pride of the Village Flute Band.

We had a meeting last night when we readily agreed to follow the wishes of the Glasgow police
Malcolm Campbell
Royal Black registrar
Royal Black registrar Malcolm Campbell said: "We are a Christian organisation and we do not wish to go against police advice.

"We are law-abiding and of course we are community-minded and we don't wish to cause trouble anywhere.

"But I am sorry that it went as far as it did. We are a democratic organisation and we had a meeting last night when we readily agreed to follow the wishes of the Glasgow police."

Mr Gray said: "The applicant has contacted Strathclyde Police and has agreed to the proposed change of route.

"A fresh application has been submitted which includes the change and as such the need for the council to review the application is no longer necessary."

Mr Gray had written to the committee warning that the Gallowgate area was likely to be busy with Celtic fans returning to the city after the first game of the football season on Saturday.


SEE ALSO:
Orangemen on the march
13 Jul 03  |  Northern Ireland
Marchers face clean-up bill
10 Jul 03  |  Scotland
Republican march banned
24 Jan 03  |  Scotland
Orangemen on march in Scotland
09 Jul 01  |  Scotland


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific