Paul Murphy is holding more talks
|
Emphasis should be placed on the government's responsibilities in the Northern Ireland political process rather than on what republicans might do, a senior Sinn Fein figure has said.
Alex Maskey was speaking after a meeting between a Sinn Fein delegation led by Gerry Adams and Secretary of State Paul Murphy at Hillsborough Castle on Monday.
Intensive talks have been taking place between the British and Irish governments, and between Sinn Fein's Gerry Adams and Ulster Unionist leader David Trimble, in an attempt to resolve the current impasse.
Northern Ireland's devolved administration was suspended last October amid allegations of IRA intelligence gathering in the Stormont government.
At the weekend, Mr Murphy made it clear that ministers still wanted clear assurances that the IRA was ready to end all paramilitary activity.
Belfast councillor Mr Maskey said there was a responsibility on all those involved in the political process.
"I think that some of the speculation that I've seen over the last few days is probably inaccurate and certainly unhelpful.
"What we were talking about here is those matters that the British Government is directly responsible for.
"They have not implemented issues arising from the Good Friday Agreement, long-standing issues on justice and equality and that is where our focus was here this morning.
 |
I think that some of the speculation that I've seen over the last few days is probably inaccurate and certainly unhelpful
|
"We are not talking about trying to pull together some package. We are trying to resolve a long number of outstanding matters."
Mr Maskey said the delegation also raised a number of concerns, including the case of Jean McBride, whose son 18-year-old son Peter was killed by two soldiers who were allowed to remain in the Army despite being convicted of murder.
A meeting between SDLP leader Mark Durkan and Armed Forces Minister Adam Ingram to discuss the McBride case has been called off.
The SDLP said it was only informed on Sunday night by the government that a letter to cancel Monday's scheduled meeting had been sent out a week ago.
The party is looking into the matter.
Meanwhile, Mr Durkan said he believed an election to an assembly was going to happen in the near future.
Speaking ahead of a meeting with the secretary of state on Monday, Mr Durkan said he believed a poll could not be avoided.
"Regardless of whether there is a deal or not or if it's a clear deal or a messy deal whether it's a fudge a mess or a miss I think this situation will slide into an election anyway," he said .
Mr Durkan discussed both the wider political process and the recent threats to district policing partnership members with the secretary of state.
Mr Murphy also met the anti-Agreement UK Unionists.
UK Unionist Robert McCartney told the secretary of state that assembly elections could lead lead to instability.
Electoral register
It is also understood that the government is considering whether additional measures might be needed to ensure all those registered to vote can participate in an autumn election.
With speculation mounting about a November or December election, it is understood that Political Development Minister John Spellar is to meet electoral officials later this week to discuss the registration process.
Canvassers are currently compiling an electoral register which will not come into force until after the Assembly vote is likely to take place.
As things stand, only those who registered by the end of August would be able to take part.
Mr Spellar will consider whether any additional measures are feasible to address potential concerns from those who registered in the latest drive but would not be able to vote as they were not on the old register.